TRANSGENDER SERVICES at SUNSERVE
Transgender Services is one of the fastest growing departments at SunServe. Our case management and mental health professionals understand the unique challenges facing anyone who does not fit into the cultural assumptions about being male and female.
At SunServe we recognize that it is still too often part of social and legal convention in the United States to discriminate against, ridicule, and abuse transgender and gender non-conforming people within foundation institutions such as family, schools, the workplace and health care settings. Instead of recognizing that the moral failure lies in society’s unwillingness to embrace different gender identities and expressions, society blames transgender and gender non-conforming people for bringing the discrimination and violence on themselves. We embrace gender diversity and seek every day to improve the quality of our care for all.
There are options at SunServe for you if you are…
- A mature trans-woman or trans-man who has transitioned long ago and just need some help dealing with the challenges of day to day life
- A gender non-conforming young person who does not fit the binary mold of male-female and searching for a place where you can be accepted just as you are
- An MTF or FTM seeking consultation in the process of transitioning and/or the assessments your medical provider is requiring before giving you services.
- In need of a community of support with others who share your struggles and challenges.
- Simply seeking a better understanding about gender roles, expectations and identity in the confusing world of hostility, bigotry and judgments.
- Someone who has a trans loved one and needs to better understand what the special someone needs from you
- A medical or mental health professional who wants to learn how to better serve the trans community
What does SunServe offer our gender non-conforming or transgender clients, their loved ones and the community of health and mental health professionals who are called upon to care for them? Through our Transgender Services, Mental Health, Education and Case Management departments we can provide:
- Assistance with name change and gender marker changes on legal documents.
- Connections with our medical care partners for hormone therapy and surgery including the letters required by WPATH.
- Connection to SunServe’s case management programs for persons who are HIV+ and help in finding services in the community for those who are HIV-.
- Various support groups for adults and teens, including a group in Spanish.
- Support group for parents, significant others , family and friends of trans loved ones.
- Educational opportunities – learning about life in the larger community
- Advocacy for the trans community, including the many training sessions on trans concerns for medical and mental health professionals in the community. We are helping make the medical world more competent to meet your needs
- Professional counseling and psychotherapy whenever it is needed.
- And more is added all the time as our Transgender Services grows to meet the evolving need of the community
SunServe follows the Standards of Care of the World Professional Association of Transgender Health (formerly Harry Benjamin Society) in the delivery of care for clients interested in the process of transitioning. We start from a place of support and acceptance. Our goal is to help you come to a successful resolution in your journey of transitioning.
Some of our clients just need reassurance that their gender differences are OK and look for nothing else but support and encouragement. Others need a therapist who will really listen to their experience and then serve as a guiding companion in relating to medical providers for hormones and body modification.
We can help you set up a program that includes identifying your own way of being yourself. We companion you while you discover more and more about what life can be like when the world sees how you feel on the inside expressed in your self-presentation. That can be done whether or not you are on activating hormones. We can include your spouse, friends, or family members in that care if that is what is needed for your personal process
SunServe has close working relationships with the medical providers that transitioning clients will need for hormones or body modification procedures. You, our Transgender Services staff, your SunServe therapist, and your medical provider become a cooperative team committed to getting you the best care possible.
Make first contact by calling Santino Aguirre, SunServe’s Director of Transgender Services at 954-764-5150 ext. 112 or e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Individual, Couples, and Family Counseling
SunServe's therapists can help you whether you are just beginning to ask personal questions about gender that are new to you or have transitioned years ago and need help dealing with the challenges of day to day life. We also assist spouses and families who are struggling to understand and accept all the challenges that gender transitioning involves. Just call our intake line and our staff will be ready to assist you in finding the right counselor and psychotherapy service for you.
Visit our Counseling page for more details.
SunServe's support groups are an important part of the process of transitioning. And they are often the best place where trans-folk can share experiences and support for one another. Groups frequently become resource gold mines for addressing practical questions about passing or the more complex issues about relationship challenges or strategizing about how to deal with difficulties in school, family or the workplace. Support groups are the place where you can be just who you are and everyone there will “get it.” We offer a Gender Bender group for Youth, and a Transgender Support group for adults.
Visit our Support Groups page for more details.
These links are for information only and represent the approaches, opinions, and thoughts of the web site sources. They are from highly respected organizations. These links, however, do not constitute an endorsement, nor do they necessarily reflect the beliefs of SunServe. We strongly advise that you seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical or mental health condition. (Links provided courtesy of Whitman-Walker Health, Washington, DC.)
Center for Excellence for Transgender Health
Gender Management Service (GeMS) Clinic
Gay & Lesbian Medical Association (GLMA) - 10 Things Transgender Persons Should Discuss
Hudson’s FTM Resource Guide
Human Rights Campaign Transgender Info Page
International Foundation for Gender Education
National Center for Transgender Equality
Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)
Quick Tips for Caregivers of Transgender Clients - provided by FORGE
Transgender Law and Policy Institute
Transgender Primary Care Protocol
The Transitional Male
World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH)